Miss me? I’m sorry about not giving you a new recipe last week. I promise this Chocolate Glazed Old-Fashioned Vegan Cake Donuts recipe will make it up to you. This is by far the most difficult recipe I have created yet, and it took me a little extra time to perfect…
Honestly, this recipe is quite time consuming to make. If you are like me, and like to move slowly in the kitchen to just simply “enjoy” baking, then you will probably love this recipe.
There are a few things about this recipe that make the time consuming process completely worth it… for one, once the dough is prepared it can be kept fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days!! That means you can enjoy freshly made donuts anytime within those 5 days 😉
I hope you love this recipe!
Old-Fashioned Vegan Cake Donuts
1 Cup Unsweetened Coconut milk
3 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
4 1/2 Cups Unbleached All Purpose Flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 ounces (4 Tablespoons) Vegan Butter, melted
4 Tablespoons Vegan egg substitute (powder mix, preferably Follow Your Heart brand)
3/4 Cup Cold Water
1 Cup Pure Cane Sugar
Vegetable Oil (for frying)
2 Cups Powdered Sugar
1 Tablespoon Dark Cocoa Powder
3-4 Tablespoons Unsweetened Coconut milk
1/8 Teaspoon Cinnamon (optional)
- Mix 1 cup coconut milk with fresh lemon juice, stir, set aside.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together, set aside.
- Using a mixer with paddle attachment, mix vegan egg substitute mix with 3/4 cup cold water on medium-high speed, mix until smooth and thick. Add in melted vegan butter and sugar, mix on high for 1 minute. Lower speed to “low”, slowly pour in coconut milk mixture, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
- Add flour mixture into wet ingredients, roughly 1 cup at a time, mix on medium-low, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
- Transfer dough to a large bowl that is lined with lightly oiled plastic wrap. Lightly oil top of dough, then fold plastic wrap over top.
- Refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1 1/2 inches thick, lightly dusting top of dough with flour as needed.
- Cut out donuts shapes using a donut cutter or round cookie cutters. Cut out plenty donut hole sized pieces, if you are left with extra dough.
- Place cut out donut pieces on a lightly oiled parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes (dough with keep in fridge up to 5 days)
- Heat 2 inches deep of oil in a large dutch oven (cooking pot), over medium heat (if you happen to have a candy thermometer, optimal oil temp is 350°F)
- Cook donuts in small batches 2-3 minutes each side, until golden brown and puffy (1 1/2 – 2 minutes for donut holes). Carefully remove donuts from hot oil, preferably using metal tongs, and transfer to a wire cooling rack placed over a cookie sheet.
- Dip donuts in glaze as soon as they are cool enough to handle.
Whisk all ingredients in a bowl until smooth, Use 3 Tbsp coconut milk if wanting more of an icing consistency, 4 Tbsp for a classic glaze.
Makes: 12 Donuts + 20 Donut holes Prep Time: 2 Hours Cook Time: 20-30 Minutes